Reader, I Married Him (explicit)

Hello, old friend. Life as an Outreach Librarian has been pretty busy lately, and I haven't had a chance to blog. That, and I recently got married.


Remember that guy Adam I met at Jewish Speed Dating a few years ago?
2012: The Good, The Bad, and the @#&$!: I did not know it at the time, but the Jewish boy I met at the speed-dating-event-I-went-to-only-to-please-my-mother, would soon find a place in my heart.  Adam and I really hit if off and have been together for several months now. In fact, we have just returned from our first vacation together, and I have a really good feeling about him.
Apparently it was a great feeling because I married him. (!!) Our ceremony and reception took place on May 15, 2016 at the Royalton Mansion in Roslyn Heights, NY. We had about 200 guests for a Reconstructionist ceremony, a pescatarian dinner, and a raging dance party. I know it sounds like your run of the mill fancy-pants Long Island Jewish Wedding... and it definitely was... but it was also the Geek Affair of the Century. With Funko Pops of Dumbledore, Locutus of Borg, and Dalek Sek, copies of all seven Harry Potter books, a TARDIS card box, a book cake, and hand crocheted Hufflepuff and Slytherin bride and groom cake toppers, it was certainly the nerdiest thing we'd done all year, and we attend NYComicCon.


Now, while getting married and being nerdy was certainly the focus of the event, I want to tell you about the lessons we learned while planning. Actually it's one big lesson. There are two very important words that go into planning and having a wedding. You might think they are: "I do," (which are very important, admittedly)  but they are actually: "FUCK IT". Seriously.


Society thinks you should have a certain weight of paper for your invitation? Fuck it. It's paper. Your florist tells you that the lavender flowers you ordered had to be sent back and replaced with different flowers at the last minute? Fuck it. They're flowers. The groom forgot his funky polka dot dress socks that we spent hours picking out? Fuck it. Borrow someone else's socks. These two happy words gave me and Adam one of the happiest days of our lives. Even when the wind gusts were so strong that we had to move our long-planned "secret garden" wedding indoors 20 minutes before go time. Fuck it.


So, while "fuck it" was definitely our mantra for the entire event, what we really meant was "As long as we get married today, it will have been perfect." So, I guess "I do" really are the two most important words after all. And here I am writing this whole thing... fuck it.