Fireside Chat: Episode 8

Good morning, everyone. It is 6am here on the east coast. I am unfortunately awake a mere seven hours after CINNAWATCH2011 ended last night. This would have been OK if I had gone to bed right after the Fireside Chat. Of course, I did not.

So, for those of you who don't know (which is proably no one, because everyone and his dog within a 100 mile radius probably heard my shrieking last night), Lenny Kravitz was cast as Cinna in the Hunger Games movie. Lionsgate announced this during the podcast! Our reaction is live and unscripted.So is the rest of the show, but it sounded cool.


Before I get into Lenny-as-Cinna talk, I want to mention how amazing it is that Lionsgate officially endorsed the Fireside Chat and (probably) purposefully waited until our show aired to make the casting announcement for the benefit of us and our listeners. Amazing! Also listening were the actors playing Foxface and Thresh, Jackie Emerson and Dayo Okeniyi, who are just about the nicest celebrities on Twitter.

OK. Onward.

Episode 8! Otherwise known as the death of CinnaWatch.

Lenny Kravitz was cast as Cinna. Gorgeous (dare I say it) cinnamon-colored Lenny Kravitz was cast as my Cinna. I am happy. For those of you who are unaware of my views on Cinna's race, please read my Episode Seven blog post from last week. I am so happy he isn't white.

Besides his skin color, I also think his acting ability makes him the right man for the (sexy) job. Director Gary Ross had this to say about the decision:
“When I saw Lenny’s work in PRECIOUS I was just knocked out.  It was quiet and strong and understated and open-hearted; all qualities which define this character.  I’m really looking forward to this ride.”
Needless to say, I agree!

The one thing I am not so sure about is Lenny's age. I, along with many others, always thought Cinna to be young. Not that Lenny is old, just possibly a bit too old for this character. But I must say,  I am not really that worried. With all the make-up and lighting, and other movie magic that my boyfriend knows more about, I am sure that they will make him look exactly like he's supposed to. Honestly, I trust Gary Ross and the rest of the Hunger Games crew. I think it will be OK.

And now, because I have to leave in 10 minutes for the Javits Center, and because I think I am falling asleep again, I must force myself to get up and leave. But before I do, I will leave you with this:

SNOWWATCH2011 is ON! Let's hope for some SNOW in Spring!