Doctor Who: The Classic Episodes

I had not really planned on watching anything other than the latest Matt Smith episodes of Doctor Who. As it turns out, however, that is not enough Who in my life.

About a week ago I embarked on a Tom Baker kick involving Romana and the Key to Time. I loved Baker and so added all his stories to my Netflix queue.


Fourth Doctor
Pretty soon my librarian mind got the better of me and I realised that I could not possibly watch these episodes out of order! There was much more Doctor Who information that I needed to know. I switched off Baker and scoured Youtube for Hartnell. The episodes that I could not locate online, I've been reading the plot on the wiki site and studying key points and continuity information.

First Doctor

At first I wasn't sure if I could handle the absolutely horrific special effects and over the top damsel-in-distress screaming. Even more worrying was the assholey-ness of the first doctor. After The Unearthly Child I wasn't sure I could continue, but I pressed on.

I am now in the middle of series two. Susan has left the cast (and took her screeching with her, thank god) and been replaced by a slightly more awesome companion Vicki, who might actually be smart. Barbara and Ian still remain, and I've grown quite fond of them. I will be sad to see them go later on in the series. The more I watch, the more I enjoy it. The "special effects" have become almost quite endearing, and the plots are (most of the time) quite interesting.

I look forward to seeing the series progress and work my way up towards Eccleston, and familar territory.While I love seeing what happens, and how each new Doctor and companion gets introduced, what I am most looking forward to is getting to know each doctor as well as I know the last three. It is a long and detailed series, and I cannot wait to learn all I can about its history.